Sunday, 10 June 2012 11:20:07
GREAT PICTURES FROM ORIGINAL KNHS SITE
BADGE: suggestions for designs of a school badge were submitted by pupils and
also by Mr. Lyons, a teacher at the school in 1959. These designs were adapted
to several badge shapes suggested by Angus & Coote until the badge was decided
rotary wheel represents the wheel of industry. The surrounding stars indicate
the principle," through hard work to the stars"
MOTTO: The school motto "Praestemus" (Let us excel) was suggested to Mr.
Johnston by Mr. M. S. Canon, headmaster of East Hills Boys' High.
PLEDGE: "The future is a challenge; Let us build our lives with power and
purpose. Let us excel" This is the school pledge as composed in 1961 by Mr. B
Carlin, a teacher in the English History Department.
Some History of Canterbury District
Some History of St George
Kingsgrove. On the 14th August 1804 Hannah Laycock received a grant of 500 acres
at Bulanaming (the original name of Kingsgrove) from Governor King and on his
land she subsequently built a farm which she called King's Grove Farm, probably
named in appreciation of her grant of land from the Governor.
the school is in the district of Kingsgrove, the land in which it stands was not
part of the original grant Hannah Laycock received. On the 24th October 1809,
John Miller was given a prior grant by Colonel Paterson for a quit rent of 2/-
after five years.
Macquarie fully legalized the prior grant an official Crown grant on January the
1st, 1810, which was witnessed by his secretary, Antill and James Meehan. The
conditions of this grant were that 19 acres must be cultivated within five
years, and that some of its timber must be available for government use.
Evidently, John Miller complied with the conditions because he retained the land
until 1827, when 90 acres were sold to James Oatley for £13. There is street
nearby the school in his name, probably bequeathed the land to his heir
Frederick Oatley. Records relating to Frederick Oatley's getting the land are
doubtful, and conjecture plays a major role in the above conclusion of
Oatley, who owned considerable amounts of land in other parts of Sydney at
various stages, mortgaged the land to Rev Schofield for a short time. He also
was involved in other leases and mortgages such as those to Chard (grew
vegetables), Sly, & Murphy until 1842, when he sold 20 acres of that part of the
school land which is furthest away from Kingsgrove Rd, to a Mr. Flood. Murphy
later bought the land bounded by Kingsgrove Rd and St Albans Rd and although
much of Murphy's land was later subdivided, a subsequent beneficiary under his
estate, Esther Evaline Murphy, owned the land at the time of resumption in 1947.
Flood's land (that at the end of St Albans Rd furthest from Kingsgrove Rd) was
sold to A. H. Andrews, who made many improvements. These included, at 1st
October, 1926, a cottage, stables, shed, & dairy. When some of Andrew's land was
resumed in 1947, this cottage, built about 1870 was incorporated in the proposed
resumptions. An appeal was made, however, that the cottage be preserved because
Mrs. A. H. Andrews, the second wife of Mr. Andrews, had lived there for so many
years and so the resumption was deferred until Mrs. Andrews died in August 1959.
At this date it was felt that no further grounds for appeal existed and the
cottage was subsequently demolished in the 1961-1962 vacation. The first Mrs.
Andrews died in 1919 and Mr. Andrews later remarried. The children of the second
Mrs. Andrews included a son who is the father of Stephen Andrews a pupil in 5th
form 1964. (Stephen was reported deceased at reunion in 1984) the dairy existed
when the school was built owned by the Andrews family and delivered milk to the
school by Mr. A. H. Andrews, the son of the original Mr. A H. Andrews and his
the subdivision took place during the years 1850-1946 and far too complex to
write more detail. It would be suffice to say that more that 12 blocks of land
were resumed to build the school.
discussing subdivision it might be worthwhile noting two rather interesting land
negotiations. Firstly, landholder Oscar Talbot Herington, whose property was
resumed, moved his house across the street from the school grounds and now it
stands on the corner of Richland Street (John Herington was a pupil in
1959-63) a grandson of the family or maybe G/ grandson.
stage during the early years the land was used as Church, the St Albans Church
of England. The church, the foundation stone was laid on 8th October 1888 and
was situated on the corner of Rolestone Avenue was formerly known as Church
Lane. Mr. Jones, of "Moorefields" sold the land to the church for £220. The work
was completed in three months and was dedicated and licensed to Bishop Barry.
This brick building provided much better accommodation than that of the first
old slab building of the early days, and the coach house of Mr. Homer which was
used for two years from 1886. When Sharp St (now Kingsgrove Rd) was no longer a
main road from Burwood to Hurstville, the new church of St Albans was built on
Canterbury Rd and remaining connection with the old church is the street which
bears its name. The old church and its surroundings were sold to A. H. Andrews
about 1908. the church building was used as a barn up till about 1930, when it
1906 at the corner of St Albans Rd and Kingsgrove Rd an interesting auction
under a big marquee tent when large blocks of land were sold. The trend for
residential housing was very strong but the Education Department stepped and
moved or demolished the houses to make way for Kingsgrove North Infants School.
school was occupied firstly in 1951 and many of the pioneering pupils were
amongst the pupils who entered the High School in 1959. Miss MacDonald was the
first Headmistress of the Infants School. A more compelling need of high School
was urgently needed so the commencement to the High School was commenced.
School Being Built
A New School
for a new school were realized in the 1950, when Canterbury, Wiley Park and
Punchbowl schools were overcrowded. The Education Department already owned land
at along side Kingsgrove Primary School the site of the old Ferguson's Nursery
and could not be taken over till 1958 too late for construction of a new
school.. So a decision was made to take the site of Kingsgrove North Infant’s
school and the 61 students were sent to surrounding schools.
consisting of blocks "B" & "C' was constructed by Monier Builders Ltd at the
cost of £189,153. This was to be completed in time for the beginning of 1959
school year. The Manual Arts block, also included in Stage 1 was not begun until
Riot, and Rubles seemed to be the only 3 R's that Kingsgrove North's' First day
Wednesday 28th January 1959 could promise.
day consisted entirely of First Year students. Foul weather had converted the
unpaved quadrangle to be a quagmire.
Mr. Johnston, Headmaster was faced with the problem of addressing the
parents of 715 pupils and no adequate shelter to do so.
finally decided to take half of the parents to a completed classroom whilst the
other half waited in the canteen shelter. Soon Mr. Johnston was informed that a
newspaper reporter wished to see him in connection with a supposed riot in the
school-how innocently those riotous pupils and parents crowded together in the
of the day passed quite uneventfully. Teachers and pupils cavorted their way
across the quadrangle by the only dry means possible-slabs concrete and narrow
wooden planks. They balanced with amazing skills on slippery stairs without
banisters; a teacher later slipped and broke an ankle as a result of this
unconventional and a hazardous means of passage. Mud was added to the mess of
masonry and rubble littering the playground.
difficulties in the beginning were innumerable. On the 21st April the school was
connected with electricity the cable had been cut by vandals and anew one had to
be imported. Home Economics pupils did cooking on gas stoves. The canteen also
used gas and used an old kerosene fridge lent by a teacher Mr. Bathe and a
parent of a student Evan. The teachers depended on a builder's copper to get
their hot water.
Inadequate cleaning facilities made normally routine tasks difficult. Until July
7th the school was without a cleaner, and Mr. Johnston frequently spent his
weekends disposing of rubbish, a job made considerably worse by the absence of
garbage bins, which finally arrived late February.
"D" and "F" the old Infant's block were the only completed buildings. Room 22
was used as a Music room and 21 as an Art room. Whilst the Headmaster and the
Deputy stored themselves in the storeroom come office of block "F" The first
phone was placed in the store room. The Manual arts Block was non-existent.
There were no car parks Mr. Hunter's (Deputy Headmaster) brand new car was
accidentally sprayed with bitumen.
Conditions in the classrooms were far from pleasant during the initial months.
Vibratory rollers, steam rollers and cranes were at work in the quadrangle while
teachers competed with pneumatic drills directly outside the classrooms. Only 6
rooms were furnished, so pupils sat on planks supported by oil drums until the
rest of the furniture arrived three weeks later. Textbooks were also unavailable
the horn system was installed in the school, a cow bell was rung to denote
periods. This meant the bell boy, subject to the whims and fancies of his
teachers would run round every block in the school so that the bell could be
heard. The result, one 65 minutes period by a 15 minute period.
beginnings in 1959 the school went through many changes. 20th March 1959, work
was begun by Monier Builders on what was called Stage 11, which included blocks
"A" & "E". these were occupied in August 1959 at the cost of £96,238/3/6, but
could not be used immediately because of the inadequate cleaning facilities.
interesting point about teaching music at this time was that, as a huge crane
swung the concrete slabs of Block "E" into position, those doing music lessons
had to evacuate because of the danger of a slab falling. The pupils would then
return until the next slab was passing by. Science pupils also had their thrills
with Miss Turnbull in charge when a man-hole in the floor and two plumber arose
who had entered during Recess.
building in he school, began in 1961, when the Assembly Hall by contractor A. M.
McNamara at the cost of £41,444 completed in March 1962 accommodating 900
pupils. The first school function was a dance and the first official,
the Investiture of Prefects.
for partially-seeing pupils was the next erected and completed in 1962 by A. M.
Weston Pty Ltd, a t the cost of £15,120/1/11. These rooms were occupied in 22nd
May. This single sorted brick structure combined the most advanced techniques in
design for these type of classrooms all over the world. These, and the the
original buildings, make up the school as it is is today, covering then six
acres, including playing fields- a far cry from the few, unfinished building of
1st Year, 1959.
Kingsgrove North was probably the most unique in its first two years as it
consisted of two schools in one. T had been impossible to gain possession of the
land at Kingsgrove South in time to build what later to be was called Kingsgrove
High School. This school later opened in buildings in Hurstville, moving to its
new buildings at the corner of Stoney Creek Rd and Kingsgrove Rd in January
1961. Meanwhile the pupils who had been sent to the North stayed on and
completed their schooling in the North.
schools in one presented a great number of problems the North had classes graded
from "NA" -"NH" and the South "SA"- "SH". This however, left one mixed class
known as "NX" and later "NS". It was not till late 1961 that the Education
Department confirmed that the South pupils who had so resented as "Boarders"
would be able to complete their schooling at Kingsgrove North as recognized
meantime the P&C had been working under the assumption that equipment and funds
would have been divided when the schools separated. A formula was worked out as
to how this should be done. It seemed at one stage the school piano would be
sliced in two to make everyone "Happy Little Vegemites"
School Uniforms and Names
1958 Mr. Johnston was approached by many advisors with suggestions for school
uniforms. When the school opened and group of eight women formed a committee
with the guidance of David Jones to decide upon appropriate uniforms for the two
chosen for both schools boys & girls. Maroon blue and gold for the North and
royal blue sky blue and scarlet for the South. Grey being safe in case schools
were later merged then the cost would be reduced. David Jones supplied the
uniforms and it was a great day when the pupils arrived in the new school
uniforms. Some of the South students continued to wear the South colours in
their 4th & 5th years.
this time a school name was being discussed. Kingsgrove North, after the
original infants school. Homer, Belgrove, St Albans, Bennalong, Governor King,
Kingsmore, Earlwood, Wolli and Clempton Park. They chose the Kingsgrove north
name to make it easier for the mail to go to the correct Post Office.
Headmaster: Mr. Johnston, Deputy: Mr. Hunter.
History: Mr. Creevey (in charge the first Term), Mr. R. Ryan the replaced Mr.
Creevey, Miss. B. Bradbury, Mrs. C. Elstub replaced by Mrs. Wilkinson in
September, Mrs. P. Sturgess, Mrs. E. Whiteside, also taught Latin.
Mathematics- Science: Mr. E. Bathe in charge, Mr. D. Bailey, Miss. K. Durack,
Miss J. Hayden, went in September, Mr. P. Pillans Science, Miss J Turnbull
Science, Mr. R. Agnew, Mr. K. Van Ralte, & Mrs. D. McNamara came in September.
I. Prenter, Miss. A. Jenkins, Mr. M. McMahon also taught English.
Activities: Mr. Roach, Mr. D. Lyons.
Art: Mr. D.
Mr. W. Wellham, in charge, Mr. N. R. Allen, Mr. W. Davis, Mr. B. Hamilton.
Miss N. Allan, Miss A Buffet,, Mrs. L. Cheleski.
Music: Miss M
Education: Mr. J. Noakes taught boys and girls.
the first year quite a number of staff changes took place. Mr. D. Bailey
replaced by Mr. Dekker, who resigned a short time later and Miss Southwell
resigned in August, Mr. Agnew replaced her. This explains whey there was 120
teachers over the the first three years. This must be why I did so miserably at
Maths?? Poor excuse!!
the first subject masters were appointed to the school: Mr J. Moloney English
History, Mr. D. Kerr, Science, Mr. J. Robson, Mathematics, Mr. D. Lewis,
Commercial, Mr. J. Oliver, Manual Arts, Mr. F. Byrnes was appointed Modern
Languages-Classic Master in 1962, and7 Mrs. E. C. Byrne was appointed Special
the original Deputy Headmaster Mr. R. Hunter transferred to Crows Nest Boys'
High School, being replaced by Mr. C. Marshall, of Maroubra Bay High School.
Cont Page 2