Saturday, July 30, 2016 12:11:29 PM

Gene Francis Alan  Pitney was born on 17th February 1940 in rural area of Hartford Connecticut and died in Cardiff Wales UK on April 5th 2006.

He was not only know as a wonderful singer but also, songwriter, drummer, guitarist and an accomplished sound engineeer.
As a "Baby Boomer myself I grew up listening to his many hits. I recall in the 1980's  buying a CD of his music and I was so happy as all my music was on 45's and cassettes at the point. It was so nice to have the current form of music. He wrote songs for the Crystals, Roy Orbison, Ricky Nelson  and Bobby Vee. He sang two of Burt Bacharach's and Hal David's songs, 24hrs from Tulsa and Man Who Shot Liberty Valens.

He originally called himself Billy Bryan but soon went back to calling himself his real name  Gene Pitney.

Gene also worked with Phil Spector on the Goffin-King hit Every Breath I Take and had hits in 1964 and 1965 with 'It Hurts To Be In Love' and 'I'm Gonna Be Strong'. During the 60's he was know to be be the one who played the maracas on 'Not fade Away" one of favourite Stone's song.

Gene was the middle child in a family of five children. His dad was a lathe operator and a descendant of a private in the Royal Marines who served in victory in The Battle Of Trafalgar.

Gene married his childhood sweetheart Lynne Gayton after a  eight year engagement in 1966. He had three sons David. Todd and Chris. He was to become a devoted husband and father.

In the early 70's he made a personal decision to see more of his family and cut back on touring. His last hit was in 1989, Something's Gotten Hold of my Heart. So for 30 years he was giving joy to us all with his wonderful voice. He death came to me as .. no way it can't be true, he looked so young vibrant and healthy.

He was inducted into the Rock'n roll Hall of Fame on March 18th 2002.

Gene was 66 when he died after performing at St David's Hall in Cardiff Wales with his last song to a standing ovation of 'Town Without Pity' a 1962 hit . He was found dead next day by his manger. Cause of death was from natural causes He was laid to rest after a mass at All Saints Roman Catholic Church on April`3 2006 at Somers Cemetery Connecticut.